From meeting your local farmers with the freshest produce to giving your body the proper full nutrition, there are countless reasons to shop at a farmer’s market.
Number 1: Support local economy and family farmers
- - Puts money directly back into your community
- - The more we support local farmers, the more they flourish
- - Buying directly gives farmers better return for their produce and helps them in the global economy
Number 2: Protect the environment
- - On average, food travels approximately 1,500 miles to get to your door
- - Conventional agriculture uses many more resources that pollute water, land, and air with toxic products
- - Local agriculture reduces those toxins as well as reduces trash by eliminating extra packaging
Number 3: Enjoy variety and freshness
- - Usually get produce less than 24 hours after harvesting
- - Items that are not artificially “forced” or “restrained” from reaching ripeness will taste better and fresher
- - Try different fruits or vegetables that you have never seen before! Farmers are happy to let you try their harvest before purchase
Number 4: Nourish yourself
- - Fresh produce has highest nutritional value
- - Most store produce is highly processed and grown using pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and genetic modification
- - Protect your body by knowing the sustainable techniques used by local farmers
Number 5: Engage with your community – have fun!
- - Fun and educational for whole family
- - Get to know members of your local community
- - Experience a taste of small town life and feel connected to the world around you!
Download Smart Foods: Organic Diet Buddy
Find a list of your local farmer’s markets, or use the “pin” to find what is closest to you.